What is Gluster ?
Gluster is a scalable, distributed file system that aggregates disk storage resources from multiple servers into a single global namespace.
- Scales to several petabytes
- Handles thousands of clients
- POSIX compatible
- Uses commodity hardware
- Can use any ondisk filesystem that supports extended attributes
- Accessible using industry standard protocols like NFS and SMB
- Provides replication, quotas, geo-replication, snapshots and bitrot detection
- Allows optimization for different workloads
- Open Source
Enterprises can scale capacity, performance, and availability on demand, with no vendor lock-in, across on-premise, public cloud, and hybrid environments. Gluster is used in production at thousands of enterprises spanning media, healthcare, government, education, web 2.0, and financial services.
Commercial offerings and support
Several companies offer support or consulting.
Red Hat Gluster Storage is a commercial storage software product, based on Gluster.